Respect all Life
“Whatever is opposed to life itself, such as any type of murder, genocide, abortion, euthanasia, or wilful self-destruction, whatever violates the integrity of the human person, such as mutilation, torments inflicted on body or mind, attempts to coerce the will itself; whatever insults human dignity, such as subhuman living conditions, arbitrary imprisonment, deportation, slavery, prostitution, the selling of women and children; as well as disgraceful working conditions, where people are treated as mere instruments of gain rather than as free and responsible persons; all these things and others like them are infamies indeed. They poison human society, and they do more harm to those who practice them than those who suffer from the injury. Moreover, they are a supreme dishonor to the Creator.”[Ioannes Paulus PP. II, Evangelium Vitae, pp 3, quoting Gaudium et Spes, 22.](emphasis added).
Our Mission is to honor and protect LIFE from conception to natural death and to provide information and education so all will embrace this Christian mission. We encourage you to join us in this very important ministry. There are no application forms or tests, but we will appreciate your desire to make a difference and any energies you can offer to help us honor the sanctity of LIFE. Our Committee meets once a month from 7-8 PM in the Hearts Room, September through June. For more information email email@example.com or simply attend one of our meetings.
Upcoming Respect Life Activities:
Spring 40 Days for Life Campaign – The 40 DFL Spring campaign will run from February 17 through March 28th. IHM will pray on the sidewalk in front of 320 Fulton ST on Wednesday, February 24th, from 7:00 am – 7:00 pm. There will be sign up sheets in the Narthex and Adoration Chapel or sign up online with these easy directions:)
- Visit www.40daysforlife.com/GrandRapids.
- Log in to your account … or … create an account.
- Click the green “Add Vigil Hours” box.
- Click on the day you want to pray at the peaceful vigil.
- Click on the hour you want to pray.
- Enter your e-mail address. All done!
Thank you for your ongoing support for the unborn!
Weekly Rosary – Members of the Respect Life committee have committed to pray a weekly rosary for the end to abortion, euthanasia and embryonic stem cell research. Look for our rosary reminder cards in the narthex and Adoration chapel. Please join us in praying for the protection of all human life, from conception to natural end.
Sidewalk Prayer chain – IHM prays on the sidewalk year round on the second Wednesday of each month from 8:00 am – noon. Sign-up sheets will be in the Narthex and Adoration chapel. The Clinic is located at 320 Fulton St and is especially busy on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Friday mornings, so stop by anytime and pray for life from the sidewalk.
Respect Life Events and Activities
- Silent Prayer & Candle Vigil to Protest Roe v Wade
- Right to Life Bike & Hike
- Life Prayer Chain
- 40 Days for Life
- Focus on Life Dinner
- Healing Mass for the loss of a Child
Diocesan Pro Life Committee
Bus Trip to March for LIFE in Washington, D.C. every year in January.
We have collected information about organizations and charities that serve our community on a variety of life issues.
Advocacy and Educational Resources:
Pregnancy and Parenting Resources:
- Alpha Women’s Center of Grand Rapids
- HELP Pregnancy Crisis Aid – HELP Pregnancy Crisis Aid, Inc. is a Catholic, non-profit organization which is dedicated to helping pregnant women, regardless of faith, origin or background, carry their babies to term by offering them support and alternatives to abortion. A wonderful pregnancy resource center.
- St. Mary’s Pregnancy Center – A charity dedicated to assisting pregnant women with practical and emotional support, including supplies, clothing, and help finding medical, legal, educational, counseling, financial and social assistance.
Committee Minutes and Policies
- September 2018 Minutes
- March 2018 Minutes
- January 2018 Minutes
- March Minutes 2017
- January 2017 Minutes
- Respect Life Committee Procedure Statement
This section contains links to various source documents and sites collecting the Church’s teaching on life issues.
- Evangelium Vitae
- Papal Encyclical “The Gospel of Life” by Pope John Paul II.
- In this encyclical, Pope John Paul II addresses each of the main life issues confronting modern society.
A Sidewalk Counselor reported:
It was a busy day at the abortion clinic. A van driven by a young woman pulled into the parking lot. Into the abortion clinic, she went, and after a few minutes out she came. She drove her car to the end of the driveway next to me. Her window was rolled down and she listened to my few words. “Would you be interested in taking this material? I’m not sure why you came, but I would love to help you in any way possible.” She told me she really didn’t know what she wanted. “You haven’t made up your mind have you? Would you be interested in a free ultrasound? I can call the pregnancy center right now and help you schedule one if you want me to.” “Yes, I would like that.” Her tense face relaxed with hope. I invited her to meet me for more conversation on the nearest side street and out of the clinic driveway. There I learned that during the previous week she had tried to set up an ultrasound, but the “pregnancy” clinic she called was going to charge her $100. They wouldn’t even take insurance. Discouraged, she had come to pick up her 24-hour consent form for an abortion.* I called a local pro-life pregnancy center and received the good news that she could head straight over for a free ultrasound appointment! They provided immediate care to this dear woman and her unborn child. I can’t describe the feeling of knowing that she was on her way to see her little one for the first time. It was utter joy.